Common causes of automobile accidents include:
- Driving at an unsafe speed.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Driving while distracted.
- Failing to properly signal.
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals.
- Reckless driving.
Even when an accident is not caused by the negligence of one of the drivers, it is still possible to assign fault. Manufacturers and suppliers could be liable for any defects to their automobile, and the government could be liable for any unsafe roadways under their jurisdiction.